Saturday, May 21, 2011

Entering the Fight

This past week I was privileged to spend time at the beautiful YWAM Tijuana base in Mexico. During this time I was able to go with a team into Zona Norte, or The Red Light District. Here, my eyes were opened to a glimpse of the spiritual battle that wars within the streets. The feelings and sensations that I encountered in this place were anything but ordinary: A stand against the Devil himself. One of the most chilling prayer walks I have ever been a part of, witnessing a battle that is constantly before us, but one that we rarely realize is being waged.

As I walked down the streets of Zona Norte, I passed hundreds of faces that showed little sign of life: deadened eyes, blind and deceived hearts, creations of God taken hostage by evil. I passed alleys selling dope to anyone that passed, dirty needles blanketing window sills and lying on the open streets amidst the trash, girls lining the streets, being sold left and right like animals. I saw evil at its best.

I heard babies screaming for help within one of the most evil places I have ever laid eyes on, a bar/hotel named, Purple Rain. I felt such a presence of evil here that my body felt compelled to throw up. Such darkness. such hate. such devastation. And I heard Satan laughing. I turned behind me to look to see who was making the sound, but as I shuddered, I realized it was not human. There was nothing humane about this place. There was no sign of Life.

While debriefing we learned that Purple Rain is known for the darkness of what goes on within its seclusion and barred doors. We learned of Black Market practices, such as, the selling of organ, babies and children, human trafficking, and more I will not even mention. It stands proudly in the streets of Tijuana--a black figure of the evil that runs so rampant and so blatantly. Satan was mocking us, he was challenging us as the Light represented, to fight back.

Yes, God cares. Yes, the spiritual battle has been underway, and yes, Jesus stands with every innocent child, man and woman that are being unjustly victimized; but he desires our help. We ask ourselves, why does God choose to let people brutalize one another? He asks us, why do we? It takes five police cars to respond to a crime scene because any less and all the police officers will be murdered. This is the extent of the grip that evil holds here. It is no wonder that Christians are afraid to enter into the madness. But it is our duty to enter. It is our duty to fight. Jesus lost his life for the sake of the Gospel...why should we expect any different for ourselves?

And TJ is not the only city where this level of demonic stronghold has taken root! This is not the only place where Christians are afraid to enter. Human trafficking affects 30 million people and every nation, even infecting our own backyards. Let us join in praying, interceding and even, if God-willing, entering into, for the city of TJ and the Red Light District.  In so doing, we are able to proclaim Christ's glory throughout the city streets, God's power over the darkness, and the freedom that redemption brings with the name of Jesus. Let us enter into the fight that is already being waged before our eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment